Blockchain at School - DAO
Over the last few decades the narrative about Latin America has changed from colors and hope to poverty and authoritarianism. This reality destroys families, dreams and entire generations, robbing them of their ability to dream. At the same time, the web3 industry and blockchain technology emerge as tools to liberate, empower and build income for civil society. But the lack of content in Portuguese and Spanish (not only in the formal version, but in a language accessible to people of poor contexts) has built a wall that prevents such people from accessing these tools. Community, innovation and creativity are some of the scarcest resources on earth and they are all abundant in Latin America. It was this meeting of needs and available resources that brought us the idea of building a course on Blockchain in a public school in a poor neighborhood in the city of Serra, ES. The course has been going well and you could see it in the first link. we ask the question:
Why form a DAO?
The source of the success of the course, the low cost and the possibility and reaching the hearts of the students is only possible because the professors are linked to the students in many ways. Without this belonging, it would be unfeasible for the project reaching students, and without the resources, it would be unfeasible for people who reach students to fully dedicate themselves to the task of teaching web3 and blockchain. That is why we are creating a decentralized network of teachers who will provide education and insight about blockchain and web3 in the context of public schools and social projects in different communities in Latin America. As we intend to expand to different regions of Brazil and Latin America, it is necessary that teachers are linked to students. We need to be a network of cooperation, an ecosystem of education and shelter. The DAO institutional model provides the infrastructure to do all this at a low cost and a s extremely futuristic and efficient transparency and governance system.
- BlackLeadersDAO (Content Offer and Teacher Training)
- Blockchain Press Club DAO (Sharing platform, content and teacher training.)
- Mempodera DAO (Sharing content and training of teachers and students.)
- KreadivDAO (Mutual Disclosure and Teacher Sharing)
- Latin American Blockchain Observatory (Theoretical Production Sharing)
- SteamHouse (Sharing $NOS social token, content and teacher training.)
Sustainability (institutional and financial) will be the main challenge for DAOs in the coming months, so we have two approaches to this topic: We see institutional sustainability as capacity as the link that links several generations the same objective, so one of the tasks of our governors will be to educate the new about the tools, challenges and requirements for the role of governor. The second approach is linked to accountability, so each governor will be linked to the contributors' task so that both can, together, manage time and resources to prevent bad surprises. About financial sustainability, we have three approaches: The first is to consolidate our project as a reference of excellence so that we can offer education to schools and private entities (always in the proportion of 7-3, seven public schools or social projects and three private entities). Provide didactic content ico on demand for other DAOs and entities (due to the high cost of producing didactic content, several institutions tend to reuse the same content in different approaches, but we know that content produced outside the student's context may not have the resources to touch the heart. As the background will be one of our main resources, we will be able to produce educational content at a reasonable cost.) The third will be the use of liquidity market (with and without temporary loss) so that we can generate income in the long term. All funds whose spending schedule exceeds one month will be allocated to a liquidity pool so that it continues to produce fees that we can collect.
The First Expansion
In the first expansion (2022) the project will cover the Brazilian cities: Serra, in the state of Espírito Santo. (30 students) Macaé, in the state of Rio de Janeiro. (50 students) Cubatão, in the state of São Paulo (128 students) São Luiz do Maranhão, in the state of Maranhão (64 students) Rio de Janeiro, state of Rio de Janeiro (10 students) Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais (18 students) Total for the first edition: 300 students
Our goals for the first year are:
- Build the project's online structure (website, telegram, discord, etc.).
- Build the project's administrative structure (governance, accountability, legal, etc.).
- Build a cooperation network with other institutions to reduce costs and increase our efficiency.
- Expand the project to at least two more Latin American countries (Already in negotiations with Argentina and Mexico)
- Expand the number of new students to 1000.
- Train 30 teachers per year.
- Build 2 MVPs for financial sustainability that can be replicated.
- Build two introductory online courses on blockchain and web3 in Portuguese and Spanish (not just the formal language, but reflecting the culture of each Latin American country).
Nossas metas para os primeiros cinco anos são:
- Build an online academy to offer education, free of charge, to public schools and social projects. (2 years)
- Train 100 teachers every year. (2 years)
- Build an ecosystem of services among our partners. (2 years)
- Have at least three countries with financial sustainability structures. (4 years)
- Educate 1,000 students per year in at least 3 LATAM countries. (4 years)
- Build at least 5 MVPs for financial sustainability that can be replicated. (5 years)
- Expand to all LATAM countries. (5 years)
Design the proposal for the DAO structures.
Deliverables: The proposal for the online structure of communication and decision making. The conceptual identity of the DAO. The design of social tokens and the “Listening” system.
Build (or coordinate) and maintain the entire DAO online structure and assist in the didactic content.
Deliverables: The creation of the multisig wallet, social token, website, forms a team of tutors to assist students who show interest in learning to code.
1 Form teams. 2. Operate the listening system. 3. Track actions, deadlines, resources and demands.
Deliverables: Assign everyone a to-do list that aligns with the DAO's first year goals and develop criteria for evaluating achievement of those tasks.
Our First Governors
Mariana Mota is a lawyer and civil servant in the interior of the city of João Neiva. She is a specialist in Tax Law. Her main interests are the preservation of the environment and the mental health of young people.
Marcelo Silva is a Brazilian researcher (PhD) focused on institutional analysis and institutional design. My current research aims to build a model of liquidity pools that finance initiatives with a positive impact on society and the environment.
- Verber Souza , advogado e especialista em DeFi de Minas Gerais, Brasil.
- Aline Silva, Empreendedora social e atleta de São Paulo, atualmente morando no Rio de Janeiro.
- Melonie Brown coordena um projeto sobre finanças alfabetização em NY.
- Fausto Vanin, empreendedor e ativista de blockchain por 5 anos. Cofundador da One Percent.
- Diego Moraes, jornalista do estado do Rio de Janeiro, trabalha para a Globo, que é o segundo maior canal de televisão do mundo.
- André Donadia , ensina inglês e filosofia.
- William Caldeira , fotojornalismo e design.
- Diana Aguilar , jornalista da Venezuela.
How resources will be applied
The funds will finance the consolidation of our structure and the expansion to other regions of Brazil and LATAM. The funds will be applied as follows: Our governors will be able to dedicate full time to fulfilling our goals as DAO with a payment of US$ 200.00 per week. We will be able to build hackathons to involve more students in the schools where we will be operating. (The money will finance the prizes) We will be able to deliver some scholarships so that our students have the chance to travel and visit startups and businesses already operating within the web3. Social media management tools. Productivity software (G Suite Professional, Canva, Calendly) Web hosting and domainsOn-line voting setup chain and off-chain (Aragon, Snapshot) Blockchain management and fees
First Year Success Metrics
- 1 full operational site
- 300 active people on our discord
- 1000 followers on our Instagram
- 1000 followers on our Twitter
- 300 alunos
- 3 Institutional Partnership
- 2 financial sustainability frameworks
- 2 introductory courses on Blockchain and Web3 in Portuguese and Spanish.